Friday, October 23, 2020

Birthday Wishes

Sunday marks my 70th birthday. I have seen a lot of sports during those 70 years. 


So what I am going to do, since I am bound to receive tons of birthdays wishes, is to make my own wish list. Perhaps you will make one when you have a milestone birthday, or just for fun.


Here we go:


I wish that the Yankees win the World Series soon. Since 2009 there has been an enormous drought in my lifetime. I grew up spoiled, with the 1950’s and ’60’s teams of Mantle, Berra and Ford. Then there were Munson, Jackson and Randoph. In the 1990’s and up to the 2009 title, there were Jeter, Williams, Posada, Pettitte, Rivera and O’Neil. Now there are Judge, Stanton and Cole. Brian Cashman—please find those final pieces to make the Yankees World Champions once more and keep those guys healthy.


I want Aaron Judge to hit 50 homers every year and make the Hall of Fame. I want his health to be good. Same with Giancarlo Stanton. I want Gerrit Cole to make it into the Hall, too, wearing a Yankees cap.


If the Yankees can’t win multiple titles, I want to see Cleveland win one. None since 1948 is a long, long time. The Braves haven’t won since 1995. Pittsburgh hasn’t sniffed the Series since winning in 1979. Baltimore has gone without an appearance or win since 1983. The Twins last win in 1991 was their last appearance. There are other franchises who have never won a crown—Seattle has never made the Fall Classic and San Diego, Colorado, Texas and Milwaukee haven’t come away with a title. I don’t wish it for Tampa Bay. 


I want the Devils to make it back to the Stanley Cup Finals and win it all. If they can’t, I want the Islanders, Maple Leafs or Canadiens to lift the trophy. Vegas, too, because they are so close. Maybe Arizona as well. The Rangers winning 2 Cups in 80 years is  more than enough. Not Vancouver. I got sick on my recent trip there. Ottawa is more deserving, according to my stomach. 


I foolishly wish that the Jets would win a Super Bowl. That they get Trevor Lawrence and that they become relevant in the NFL. I have held season tickets since 1977 and not one trip to the big game. If they can’t win, I would like to see Detroit win one. The Lions have never played in a Super Bowl. I am not adverse to Tennessee hosting the Lombardi Trophy, or the Cardinals, Vikings or Chargers. Not Tampa Bay or New England; Brady has won enough rings. 


Just as silly a wish is for the Knicks to win an NBA title.  They aren’t even close to making the playoffs. I don’t care that Lebron keeps on winning—he’s that good. I would like the Celtics to overtake the Lakers in the numbers of title won, so that a semblance of order can be restored. 


I hope that Rutgers can emerge from its dormancy and start playing even with the big boys of the Big Ten—Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin—and beat them handily. I want the stadium always packed and then to expand because the demand for tickets is so great. Oh, and as for Penn State, please beat them regularly while James Franklin is still the coach. I just can’t stand him.


I want Roger Federer to win one more Grand Slam. Serena, too. I want Nadal to win more titles than Djokovic. Just because he is more likable. 


I wish I could have an all-access pass to one of the major pro sports. Be in the press box, go on the field, head into the locker room.


I would love to see RU win the Big Ten football crown and Princeton win the Ivy League title in 2029, on the 140 th anniversary of the first contest between the schools. 


I want to see RU hoops win the Big Ten. I want RU to outgrow the RAC and build a new arena that will still give them an edge in recruiting and home court noise. 


I want to see the elimination of MMA and UFC when statistics come back and show how much brain damage the fighters have suffered.


I want Mike “Doc” Emerick to call one more NHL game either on NBC or MSG. His use of words was appropriate and useful,  unlike the way Howard Cosell tried to show us how smart he was. 


I want F&M to win the Centennial Conference in football. An NCAA playoff game would be incredible to see. 


I wish there was a way that the Giants and Jets would reconsider their stupid decision not to put a roof on Met Life Stadium. Besides my selfishness desire to be inside in December and January, being indoors would help both teams more than enduring the cold. And what a revenue stream it could create. 


I hope I can complete my five remaining baseball cities tour by the time I turn age 75. That, unfortunately, is out of my hands right now. 


I would like Tiger Woods to win a Masters at age 50 and then retire. I cannot tell you if he was the greatest golfer of all times, because Jack Nicklaus may have won more majors. What Tiger still is the most exciting and watchable golfer of all time.


I want Jim Kaat and Tommy John to make the Baseball Hall of Fame. Two great left-handers who carry remarkable stories with them which are meritorious for enshrinement. And, I dare say Pete Rose and all the steroids players, because the results count. Take away the wins by their teams, then those who cheated also shouldn’t be in. Besides, Whitey Ford, Gaylord Perry and others doctored the baseball and they are ensconced in Cooperstown. What a double standard. 


If I could eliminate the nagging injuries and lose some pounds, I would like to run a mile consistently for one whole year, then go back to walking. 


I want RU wrestling to win an NCAA title. New Jersey is a hot bed of high school wrestling. If the top kids stay home and go to RU, it is possible. 


I would like Morristown-Beard to win multiple state titles in boys lacrosse. Because I like their coach. 


I would love to see the Phoenix Suns or Sacramento Kings win an NBA title. Zero Titles for the Suns, none for the Kings franchise since 1951. The Hawks only win came in 1958, when they resided in St. Louis. The Clippers haven’t won one either; since a friend’s son works for them, I am okay with their winning a crown. Indiana and Denver have not won since going to the NBA—I like them better than the Nets. Utah is deserving of a win, as well.


Speaking of cities without titles, how about Buffalo? If my teams cannot win, then let the cold inhabitants of upstate New York be warmed with a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment